Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Jardin des Tuileries with a History Behind it

Jardin des Tuileries
Jardin des Tuileries is one of the most visited gardens in Paris due to its central location between the Louvre and Place de la Concorde, bordered by the Seine.

It is also a part of a grand central axis which leads from the Louvre all the way to La Defense which is the city’s business centre.

Tuileries Palace encloses the western area of the Louvre and the seventeenth century gardens which makes up the centre most parks in Paris.

These tranquil gardens have a bloody history behind it, where Louis the XVI and Marie Antoinette, the famous personalities were held captive in the palace during the French Revolution after they were routed from Versailles and the siege at the Tuileries by the Parisian mob.

This was at the close of the revolution in 1893 which left many of the people dead. Moreover the palace was looted and also burned during the Paris Commune.

Recent renovation of the gardens has however incorporated them into the extended Louvre and Grand Axis vista.

Garden Re-designed by Andre Le Notre

Jardin des Tuileries
The Tuileries Garden got its name from the tile factories which had previously stood at the site when in the year 1954; Queen Catherine de Medici had built the Palais des Tuileries.

The famous gardener of King Louis XIV, Andre Le Notre, had re-designed the garden in 1564 giving it its current French formal style garden which separates the Louvre from the Place de la Concorde which is best known for the design of the gardens at the Versailles Palace.

He built a terrace along the riverbank which opened at a central axis. Three years later, he extended it with the creation of the Champs-Elysees.

Jardin des Tuileries
It also has a cultural walking area for Parisian as well as tourists where one will find Maillol statues standing along with Rodin or Giacometti while the two ponds in the garden are a perfect spot for relaxing.

Tourist can have the opportunity of admiring the works of Monet, the Musee de l’Orangerie, which is located south-west of Tuileries. Free tours are organized in French from March to December and for couples in love, rides, thrills and candyfloss can be enjoyed at the Fete des Tuileries from June to August.

A World Heritage List of UNESCO

The Jardin des Tuileris was one of the first parks to be opened to the public and soon became a place to be visited.

Even in the 18th century, the park seemed to feature amenities like the cafes, deck chairs, public toilets and kiosks.

Since 1991, the site of Jardin des Tuileries has become a part of the World Heritage list of UNESCO.

 Tuileries cover an area of around twenty five hectares of land where the entire garden has been carefully arranged to enhance important element to the park with bedhautiful terraces and several artificial ponds which are well maintained.

 Most of them are hidden by the shadows of the old elm and chestnut tree, making it a perfect blend of serenity and peace.

In addition to the smaller ponds, the park also has two larger lakes, namely Bassin Octogonal and the Bassin Rond.

Most of the tourists visit this site every year from all locations of the world and though the garden area is small, it is amazingly decorated with fountains and sculptures which has an historical importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.