Burial Place of Jesus Christ – Revealed
Restoring work in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Israel has revealed stone slab venerated as the place of rest of Jesus Christ. For the first time in centuries, it has been disclosed by scientists regarding the original surface considered traditionally as the tomb of Jesus Christ.
Situated in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the Old City of Jerusalem, the tomb is said to be covered by cladding of marble since around 1555 A.D and probably centuries earlier. Fredrik Hiebert, archaeologist-in-residence at the National Geographic Society and a partner in the restoration project commented that the marble covering of the tomb had been pulled back and they were surprised by the amount of fill material below it.
It would be a long scientific analysis though they will eventually be capable of seeing the original rock surface on which as per tradition, the body of Christ had been laid. The body of Jesus Christ, as per Christian tradition, had been laid on a shelf or burial bed carved from the side of a limestone cave after he had been crucified by the Romans in A.D. 30 or 33.
Christian believe that Christ resurrected after death and Mary Magdalene who had anointed his body three days before his death had reported that his grave was empty when she had visited his tomb.
Inner Tomb Under Restoration
The burial shelf is said to be enclosed now by a small structure which is known as the Edicule-from the Latin aedicule or little house, which had been reconstructed last in 1808 -1810 after it had been damaged in a fire. The Edicule and the inner tomb presently are under restoration by a team of scientists from the National Technical University of Athens under the guidance of the Chief Scientific supervisor Professor Antonia Moropoulou.
The discovery of the burial bed has been providing researchers with an unprecedented opportunity of studying the original surface of the most sacred site in Christianity. An examination of the original rock may permit them to comprehend much better not only the earlier form of the tomb chamber but also on how it progressed as the focal point of veneration from the time it had initially been identified by Helena, the mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, in A.D. 326.
Under Charge of Six Christian Sects
Moropoulou had stated that they are at the critical moment of rehabilitating the Edicule and the techniques which were being utilised to document this unique monument would enable the world to study their findings as if they themselves had been in the tomb of Christ.
The interior of the tomb which normally glows with faint constellation of wax candles, together with bright construction lighting, illuminated the small cell, exposing minute details which seemed to be usually overlooked. The marble slab which tends to cover the holy bench by around 3 by 5 feet, carved from creamy marble had been pulled away from the wall.
Below it, was a grey beige stone which a conservator has enquired and had received an unclear reply. The Church of the Holy Sepulchres is presently under the charge of six Christian sects. Three major groups, the Greek Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church and the Armenian Orthodox Church tend to maintain main control over it while the Coptic, Ethiopian Orthodox and Syriac communities also tend to have a presence there.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.