Towards 1480 AD, an Egyptian, Mamelouk Sultan decided to fortify Alexandria’s defense by building a medieval fort on the same location where the lighthouse stood with the help of the fallen marble and stones.
Ptolemy II and Sostrates of Knidos, the designer of the lighthouse both wanted their names to be carved on the structure and finally Ptolemy had his name carved instead. Sostrates being clever and tricky carved his name beneath, concealed it with plaster and then carved the name of Ptolemy II over it. With passage of time, the plaster got worn out and his name was revealed. The Lighthouse being solidly constructed survived many fierce sea storms and earthquakes for around 1600 years and though it did not survive till present day times, it has left an impact in many respect where the monument has been used as a model for many prototypes in Mediterranean as well as faraway places like Spain.